Úřad pro civilní letectví
 
 

Jihočeské letiště České Budějovice a.s.
U Zimního stadionu 1952/2
370 01 ČESKÉ BUDĚJOVICE 7

 

Approach and landing on the runway RWY 27 and take-off from the runway RWY 09 is permitted for cat. operation 4C.
Approach and landing on the runway RWY 09 and take-off from the runway RWY 27 is permitted for cat. operation 2C.

Change of airport operating hours in the period from 18.06. to 16.08.2020 Mon - Wed 8:00 - 20:00, Thu - Sun 8:00 - 21:30.

Until 05.09.2020, passport check-in of aircraft for flights outside the Schengen area is provided at LKCS Airport during AD operating hours without the need to send a request in advance.

Airport České Budějovice LKCS » Airport » History

History

Letiště České Budějovice

In the first third of the 20th century, aviation has recorded a huge development. Aviators were not satisfied with flying activities performed only during several weeks after harvest and when the owners permitted.
Therefore the České Budějovice Aeroclub managers decided to build a new airfield near the town. At the beginning of 30-ies due to this intention, a piece of land in the Planá Municipality Cadastre has been selected and České Budějovice town, which is responsible for the rent of land, became a guarantee of this construction. But in 1932 no even a penny has arrived from the state budget, so the town used unemployed people. The České Budějovice Auxiliary Commission provided financial means for 80 workers and the first working activities started on 6th December, 1932. Working morale was not as high as it was expected and also the weather was not very good. As a result of this the value of the organic landscaping was not equal to the investment provided. Due to lack of financial means in June 1933, working activities were stopped till April 1934, when after several discussions and hold-outs the winner of the tender, Ing.Matyas and Moucka Company proceeded with the construction and the work was then finished in May, 21st 1935. Then it was necessary to finish an entrance and airfield road, perform drainage, final modification of airfield areas and objects construction. The final approval of building was performed in December 13th 1937 and the airfield could then be opened and fully operated.

Even before, during 1935 an architect Mr. Slama from Prague has developed a project of hangar and its construction started in 1936. Financial means were collected through the collection when the České Budějovice Insurance Company provided 20 000 crowns, similar financial means were provided by the Ministry of Public Works and Ministry of National Defense, Petras Brothers Company provided 2000 bricks … etc. České Budějovice Aeroclub and Masaryk Aviation League hangars were in building progress in parallel. The second one made from the wooden construction was finished in January 12th 1937 and could store 10 aircraft. In 1952 the hangar was dismounted and reconstructed again in Hosín. The state hangar made from the steel construction was finished almost at the same time. The opening ceremony of the third hangar (České Budějovice Aeroclub) was held in June 26the and 27th 1937. The hangar was connected with a one store building with a work-shop, office, assembly-room and aviation mechanic flat. The part of celebrations was also an aviation day and the sport aircraft flying competition “Above the South Bohemian Castles and Chateaus”.

Military Operation at the České Budějovice Airport

Military Air Force has introduced itself at the first time in June 27th 1937 at “the Air Show Day” held due to an official opening of the airport. 22 000 spectators could see on the display among others also an assault of the Letov – 328 aircraft, engagement of a bomber with the element of Avia B-534 fighters and an outstanding aerobatic show of the triple aircraft Avia Ba – 122 piloted by Novak, Siroky and Hubacek.
In 1938 the 2nd Reconnaissance and Light Bomber Flight Squadron of I/1 Wing 1 “TGM” from Prague was transferred to the airpot. Within its scope, there were “haléřové šmolíky” (Š-328 Šmolík aircraft) operated in the wing which were purchased from the public collection named “Jižní Čechy armádě”. 6 pieces of the aircraft Š-328 were purchased for 1 707 725 crowns, from which the first one in the series – No.345 – had a symbolic five-farthing installed in the instrument panel which was presented by the girls from 1st elementary school at the beginning of the collection.
The separate chapter of the České Budějovice airport history was the establishment of the provost flight patrols. They were established in 1935 as the result of fascist regime increase and the social tension inside the society. Due to the increased number of the airspace trespasses in the South-Bohemian region, the provost flight patrol unit was displaced on the Planá airfield in Aril 1938 and operated there until its deactivation in March 15th 1939. During its operation the provost flight patrol unit recorded several successful missions.

Luftwaffe Era

German military forces changed the civilian airport Planá to military only operations when the Czechoslovak Republic was occupied by Germans. The airport from the beginning of the protectorate was used probably for training purposes (separate flight school operated there as well) using captured aviation technique and also as the alternate airport for 4th Air Force Army. The last dot of the Luftwaffe activities at the airport was May 4th 1945 when the rest of airworthy aircraft took-off in the direction to Passau.

Liberation

In May 1945 the airport passes over to the Czech commandment again. On 8th May 1945 the announcement of mobilization is issued and reserves coming on duty form the guard and a military Command. In June the same year, 2nd Aerodrome Squadron is established with the task to delouse buildings and technique from mines, protect material against robbery and perform an inventory of the aviation material. One of the missions is also an organization and aviation technique repairs and here is the starting point of the history leading to the aviation repair facilities establishment which lasts for the whole time of the airport military history till 2004.

Aviation Units after Liberation

On 13th August 1945 the Cz.Wing made up from 310,312,313 Sqn landed in Ruzyně. 312 Sqn then was transferred to Planá on 22nd September 1945. From its members in October 28th 1945 the 2nd Air Force Division under the command of LtCol Jaroslav Hlaďo combined from 4th and 5th Air Wing was established. The welcome was vigorous.

On 5th May 1946 the military parade on the České Budějovice square and the first after war air show day in the afternoon was organized. September 7th and 8th 1946 were days in the name of 6th anniversary of the 312 Sqn establishment and due to this occasion the first memorial of war airmen perished during W.W. II in the presence of Gen.Vicherko, Janoušek and military attachés from USA, Britain and Yugoslavia was unveiled. Pre-war tradition is also re-established by the Aeroclub of České Budějovice and active/reserve Air Force officers become its active members as well.

July 1st 1947 – regular air traffic of the ČSA from Prague to České Budějovice was established.

An interesting episode dated in April 1948 was the establishment of the training facility for fighters within the scope of 5th Air Wing, 2nd Training Flight. This action was officially marked with the code DI (Confidential – Israel) and unofficially discussed as the “Hagana action” (from Hebrew language – Haganah = selfdefense). It came from the fact that Israeli airmen were members of the air service Haganah. The flight was established within the frame of the military assistance to Israel and former aviation veterans were retrained to Avia S-199 aircraft in Planá. The later Israeli president E.Weizman was also one of the flight team members. The part of the agreement was also a delivery of 25 aircraft S-199 and 50 aircraft S-89 (Spitfire Mk IX E) including other military material.
But due to an internal political development, activities of 2nd Air Force Division units were repressed because of releasing former international airmen out of the army service and it was decided to modernize Planá airport. The general reconstruction started in 1950 and finished in spring 1952. In April 1952 the element of MiG-15 aircraft from 1st Fighter Wing and later also the element of another MiG-15 from 9th Fighter Wing lands at the airport. Both fighter wings plus 19th Fighter Wing are implemented into 1st Air Force Division structure from October 1952, all of them are deployed at Planá airport. 19th Fighter Wing is then displaced to a new military airport Bechyně and two years later also 9th Fighter Wing follows. 1st Fighter Wing remains at Planá airport till its deactivation in December 31st 1994.

End of the military air force in the South Bohemia

Military aircraft were leaving České Budějovice airport in accordance with the state defense strategy. First significant changes happened in the first half of 90-ies, which were in the view of progressive transition to professional armed forces. Reconstruction of the army affects also the air force and the life of the military aviation repair service members. First aircraft MiG-23 BN from the 28th Fighter-Bomber Regiment, which was deactivated, land at the airport in June 1st 1994 and until October there are another 22 MiG-23BN plus 1 MiG-23 UB sent at the aviation repair service station in Planá. All of these aircraft are to be discarded at the service station. The service repair station also takes over another 8 MiG-23 MF to be discarded from the closed 1st Fighter Wing. During the summer 1996 the 2nd Flight of the Military Aviation and Air Defense Technical Institute called “ Stress Team” is dislocated at the Planá airport. In May 1998 MiG-23 ML aircraft are deactivated from the service and then hand over to 31st LOZ. Only one MiG-23 ML remains in active service. During years 2000 till 2005 the airport activities are focused on aircraft test flights after repairs, rotation of international missions, para-dropping activities in Boletice MTA, crew training and activities within the NATINADS system. At the same time the airport also offered its RWY to several significant foreign visits, among them we could mention presidents of Moldavia, Croatia and Slovakia including also royal families members. The significant role of the airport, as the coordination centre and a helicopter base during the catastrophic floods in 2002, also displayed its importance in the area of a complete assistance to civilian sector in that time. The Aviation Repair Base was honored by the plaquette for the assistance to civilian people from the Minister of Defense. However, military activities at the airport were gradually suppressed and then in the days of 20th till 22nd October 2003 the last meeting of the Aviation Repair Base was held. Then in December 31st 2005 the Aviation Repair Base was definitely closed.
This point terminates definitely military aviation activities in the South Bohemian region and opens the time for the establishment of the civilian aviation.

Vyrobil FT Sun FT Sun